الخميس، 17 يناير 2013

Can someone "decide not to decide" ?

My question is prompted by a story in the paper about a nationally-prominent politician (I'll omit his name because I'm questioning his language, not his politics).
"I've decided not to decide," ** told the State Journal on Wednesday when asked about a possible presidential run. For now, ** said he and his family are enjoying settling back down in his hometown.

"I have learned that whatever you do you are going to get criticized, so you should do what you think is right," ** said.
There's one type of situation where I think the phrase could be used - when one is offered choices and declines all of them, as for example when you are told "Decide which of my daughters you're going to marry" or "Decide which cheesecake dessert you'll have" - and you "decide not to decide" (on either or any of the choices) and walk away.

But when the choice is binary (run for president/don't run for president), then I think the phrase is a tautology.  You are not deciding.

 Oh, I understand why he and others do this.  If a politician says "I haven't decided," then he/she believes that will be interpreted as indecisiveness and lack of conviction.  But if they phrase it as "I have decided not to decide," they feel they will be perceived as a decision-making potential leader of the people.

To me this is emblematic of the b*llsh*t of politics, and I'm just thoroughly tired of it.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق