الأحد، 16 مايو 2010

(Not a) stilt bug - this is a baby assassin bug

We found this little fellow on the viburnum in our woods this week.  I've not encountered one before, and after some searching I decided he was probably a "stilt bug."

He's hard to photograph, in part because of his diminuitive size, but also because he/she is semi-transparent.  I'm not sure what to feed him, because the things I've read say they sometimes eat plant material, sometimes are predators.

I'm open to any corrections or suggestions...

Correction:  A hat tip to Darren and to steve - both of whom suggested that this is a nymph of an assassin bug, not a stilt bug.  After checking various sites on the web, I totally agree.   I've kept him in custody for a few days pending identification (he didn't have any papers to show me), but now it's time to release him back into the world.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق