السبت، 22 يناير 2011

I have a question about grammar

What is the proper way to indicate an ellipsis when quotation marks are involved?  When I'm embedding text from a linked article, I don't like to copy/paste the entire text; I believe it's more ethical to take small excerpts and refer the reader to the primary source.  So I'll typically cite a couple paragraphs and even condense those paragraphs to retain only the most salient points.

I indicate citations in the blog by the common convention of using nested text, and I indicate where I've omitted text by replacing it with an ellipsis (...), but sometimes it gets awkward, as shown here:
Denouncing this situation as an "intolerable societal reality," the document concludes that the "only way" toward a solution is the amendment of the Constitution "to define persons as human beings.”...

There is a groundswell of support: 76 percent of Americans, according to a recent ABC News poll, said they opposed the Citizens United decision.
An entire paragraph has been omitted between those sentences, but the three dots that indicate that look totally awkward sitting there by themselves.  On the other hand, if I put them inside the quotation mark ("...as human beings...."), then it seems to indicate that the deletion was from the quotation, which is not the case.  Sometimes I move the (...) to the start of the next sentence, but if that also has quotation marks, I'm no better off.

This isn't a big deal, but I know there are some readers of this blog with true copyeditor skills, so I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks in advance.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق