الاثنين، 16 يوليو 2012

Did I just dodge an "upsell" from Subaru ?

"Upselling is a sales technique whereby a seller induces the customer to purchase more expensive items, upgrades, or other add-ons in an attempt to make a more profitable sale. Upselling usually involves marketing more profitable services or products but can also be simply exposing the customer to other options that were perhaps not considered previously. Upselling implies selling something that is more profitable or otherwise preferable for the seller instead of, or in addition to, the original sale."
Last year our family traded in an ancient Mazda Protege for a better-in-the-winter Subaru Forester.  This year I called to schedule a 15,000 mile maintenance, and the conversation went something like this:
Subaru:  "O.K., you're set for Tuesday morning.  Shall we include a cleaning of the caliper slides?"

Me:  "The what?"

Subaru:  [explanation that this involves inspecting and cleaning brake components "to prevent excessive brake wear."]

Me:  "If that's part of the maintenance, go ahead.  I'm still under warranty."

Subaru:  "This is not 'normal maintenance,' but it's something we recommend.  It would be about $70."

Me:  "Well, if it needs to be done, I also have that extended warranty that covers everything from wiper blades to key batteries..."

Subaru:  "The Extended Service Plan doesn't cover this."

Me:  "So it's not normal maintenance, but it's something you recommend??"

Subaru:  "Correct."

Me:  "What if I don't do it?"

Subaru:  "If you don't do it at 15,000 miles, we recommend you do it during the 30,000 mile maintenance."
Right.  You should do it now - or a year from now - to prevent damage to the brakes that would be covered by the warranty that Subaru would then have to pay for. 

I opted out, and had the same conversation with another employee when I brought the car in.  The service I did get was prompt and efficient and the staff were courteous, but this leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.  I'd welcome any comments from those more knowledgeable about cars than I am.  My wife and I like to get 200,000 miles from our cars over 10-12 years before trading them in.  Should I be more attentive to suggestions such as this one?

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق