الثلاثاء، 17 مايو 2011

Bookstore entrance - and a poll

Photo of the bookshop "Le Bal des Ardents" in Lyon (Rue Neuve), credit to Isaius, via at the Breathing Books tumblr.

And now a poll...

My post yesterday about the alleged book-reading habits of the great unwashed public ("1/3 of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives") generated an inordinate number of comments, many doubting the validity of the data (which may in fact not be true, but all of us are too busy to look up the source of the numbers).

TYWKIWDBI readers are certainly not representative of the general public, but it was suggeted that it might be interesting to survey how many books people visiting here actually DO read in a year.  I've just reviewed my lists of "books read" (which I've kept since 1988), and for the ten years since my retirement from full-time employment, I've read an average of 33 books/year. 

Just as a matter of curiosity, I've added a poll at the top of the right sidebar; the choices are:
  • two books a week or more (>100)
  • one book a week ("about 50")
  • two books a month ("about 25")
  • one book a month ("about 12")
  • one book a season ("about 4")
  • one or two books a year
  • no books, but I read other things
And in response to Ninabi's query ("I would enjoy a what-are-you-reading? post as I am constantly looking for new books to read."), please feel free to use the Comments section of this post to mention what you are reading now (if it is really good) or something you've read recently that you would recommend to others (limited to something they wouldn't already have heard about, and is not on all the must-read lists.)

And I'll add a note that this blog has a recommended books category that has about 50 entries in it.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق