الاثنين، 17 يناير 2011

The Australian... drought ?!


For the title of this post, I wanted to insert an interrobang or quesclamation mark (left), but didn't know how to do that.  So I'll use the old-fashioned double mark.

Everyone must be aware of the catastrophic flooding that has hit Queensland, Australia this past week.  I was therefore a bit surprised to encounter at Aljazeera a news report about Australia's problems with drought.  It involves the Murray-Darling river basin, which encompasses about half of the country's agricultural land.

As with so many water crises around the world, it appears to be resulting from a combination of natural forces and questionable water management policies.  I've heard similar arguments raised about the Colorado, the Nile, the Jordan, and the Danube.

I've embedded part one of a two-part news report.  Part two is here.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق