السبت، 1 ديسمبر 2012

"Reversed" map of the world


An anonymous reader mentioned in a comment that he/she had seen a map of the world in which the oceans were depicted as land masses, and vice-versa.  The closest I could find to such a map with a quick web search was the one above (available commercially as a poster), via Big Think and 42 Concepts.

This one doesn't quite "work" for me because my mind still sees a conventional map (it worked a little better when I inverted it).  I would prefer for the artists to have extended the "reverse" effect by depicting the mid-Atlantic ridge as canyons and the Marianas Trench as a towering mountain.  And to have rendered the "oceans" in blue.

Still, it's a nice diversion to view such a map and wonder in a reversed world where I would like to live, which areas would be strategically important, how history might have evolved differently, and so on.

Addendum:  Reader Heather found the map I wanted to see, credited to mygrapefruit at DeviantArt, via P as in Pterodactyl:


Nicely done. (I think I would like to live in the "lakes" district around Indonesia or Papua New Guinea...)

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق