الاثنين، 20 فبراير 2012

TYWKIWDBI declines a "Fascination Award"

Most bloggers appreciate recognition and awards.  We were nominated for one four years ago and still display the badge in our sidebar.  But when an email arrived this morning announcing that I had won money, I was suspicious.

The email began by informing me that "An article you wrote in 2009 titled Man Cut in Half by Vehicle Accident, Talks to Bystanders has earned your blog a nomination for a Fascination Award: 2012's Most Fascinating Librarian blog."

I've been quite aware of that post; it is one of the most visited (36,000 hits) and linked-to posts in the blog, but it's nothing I'm proud of, and the idea that 3 years later it would earn me recognition was nonsensical.   And as much as it would be nice to receive $25 and be in a category of "Most Fascinating Librarian [?] blog," something seemed amiss, especially when I noticed that the email was sent from an online "accelerated degree program."

A web search quickly led me to a post at Quantum Progress, and from there to a post at dy/dan, which nicely summarized how some online education programs take advantage of federal educational aid programs and naive students.

The badge being offered [non-linking screencap shown] would take "voters" to the promotional pages for the online degree program.  If your blog is similarly "honored," please read the above links before deciding whether to accept.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق