الجمعة، 10 فبراير 2012

Where I (we) fit in the political sphere

From the time I started this blog, I've tried to give full disclosure regarding my own politics and biases, so that readers can understand how my viewpoints might inform the content of the blog or my commentary on posts.

In January of 2009, I posted graphs from three different assessment vehicles, showing where I fit in the political spectrum.  (All three graded me as a "centrist.")

Now the Pew Research Center has a "political typology" assessment -
The Pew Research Center’s new Political Typology finds that the public is more doctrinaire at each end of the ideological spectrum, yet more diverse in the middle than it has been in the past. The typology, the fifth since 1987, sorts Americans into cohesive groups based on their values, political beliefs and party affiliation. It provides a roadmap to the nation’s changing political landscape.
- which includes a self-assessment tool that is only 20 questions long.  According to their criteria, I am in the "Post-Modern" group, which apparently -

- is in the midrange from red to blue.

Where do you fit in?  I'm always curious about the readership of this blog (most of whom are silent lurkers).  If I were to guess, I would think the politics of readers here covers a fairly wide range - with probably a slight tilt to the blue left.

 If you have five minutes to spare, please take the Pew quiz - HERE - and enter your result in the poll at the top of the right sidebar of this blog. (The poll closed after a week - but you can still take the quiz at the Pew site and find out how you fit in the spectrum).

Let's see who we are.  (p.s. - please don't just "guess" and say "oh, I'm a ...."  Take a couple minutes to try the quiz itself and post what it says about you, not what you think about yourself.)

I'll warn you ahead of time that on some of the questions, neither of the two choices will match your opinion.  The instructions say to pick the answer that is closest to your viewpoint, not that it necessarily matches.  This makes the quiz something of a blunt instrument, but it has the major advantage of taking only a couple of minutes to complete.

I particularly want the regular readers and commenters to participate, but lurkers are welcome to do so as well.  And it's o.k. if you're not in the U.S. - I'm surveying what the readership of this blog is like, not what the U.S. is like.

When you're done, if you'd like to leave a comment on this post identifying yourself and giving your result ("Hi, this is Casey.  I turned out to be a hard-pressed democrat, but..."), that's fine, although I think most will prefer to retain a modicum of anonymity, or let their political leanings be inferred from their comments on other posts.

Once again - take the quiz, then go to the right sidebar at the top, and check the button that corresponds to how the poll categorizes your views.  When you've done that, you can read about the demographics of the country (and others in your group) at other links within the Pew site.

(Note - I originally posted a year or more ago, but that happened to be the week when Blogspot "went down" unexpectedly, and all the data were lost.  I'm reposting it now because we're heading more deeply into the political season, and I think it's good to know where we all stand.)

Addendum:  In case anyone is wondering, this was the distribution when the poll was first administered to the American public (I'm not sure of the date):
9%   = Staunch Conservatives
11% = Main St. Republicans
9%   = Libertarians
11% = Disaffected
13% = Post-modern
10% = New Coalition Democrat
13% = Hard-Pressed Democrat
14% = Solid Liberal
10% = Bystander
Final update: The poll generated 554 responses during the first day, then 132, 93, 74, 67, and 66 on the next 5 (which gives some insight into how often readers visit the blog). 
The distribution of the results did not change significantly after the first day, so I terminated it after one week and 1135 responses:


I was frankly a little bit surprised that "solid liberals" comprised over half of the responses; when I first posted the poll a year or two ago, it seemed to be more balanced.   The numbers, of course, are not necessarily representative of the readership as a whole; it could be that liberals are more likely to take the quiz, or to record their response.  The data are not going to change what I choose to blog, but it may help readers understand or anticipate how the comments on posts may trend, and I think a number of readers found that taking the poll helped them understand not what they think, but how demographers define their set of beliefs.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق