الثلاثاء، 17 يناير 2012

I always wonder what's under sand dunes


I spent a long time looking at this photo of a sandy desert (?the Atacama?) somewhere in Chile.  Whenever I see sand dunes, I start to wonder what might be underneath them.  Dunes move, and in so doing can bury anything in their path.  I remember reading stories* about Hollywood movie sets abandoned decades ago now emerging as the California desert dunes that covered them up now move onward.  When glaciers retreat, archaeologists find well-preserved artifacts from prehistoric times.

What's under these dunes?  Remnants of old cities?  Burial sites?  Fire rings?  Fossils?  Diamonds?  Alien artifacts?  Sandworms?

Photo credit Jerome Prevost/Associatied Press/Pool, from a photoessay on the Dakar Rally.

*A hat tip to twoeightnine for locating a story in the Los Angeles Times re the (intentional) burial of a Cecil B. DeMille set for The Ten Commandments in the Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق