الخميس، 2 فبراير 2012

"Cry Me A River"


A "torch song" from the 1950s, first made famous by Julie London (1964 recording above). If you'd rather hear a 25-y.o. Barbra Streisand perform the song, go here.
Now you say you're lonely -
You cry the long night through.
Well, you can cry me a river, cry me a river
I cried a river over you

Now you say you're sorry
For bein' so untrue.
Well, you can cry me a river, cry me a river -
I cried a river over you

You drove me, nearly drove me out of my head
While you never shed a tear.
Remember, I remember all that you said -
Told me love was too plebeian,
Told me you were through with me and
Now you say you love me.
Well, just to prove you do
Come on and cry me a river, cry me a river -
I cried a river over you

I cried a river over you
I cried a river over you
I cried a river over you.
I'll bet this is the only song ever written to include the word "plebeian" in the lyrics.

Addenda: Susan Boyle's 1999 version here.  Canadian Diana Krall plays and sings the piece here.  And now for something completely different: Joe Cocker's version.  And by popular demand - Crystal Gayle.

(Updated and reposted from 2009 because I heard the song while watching V for Vendetta last night.)

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق